Victims of Crime – U Visa

The U Visa is for victims of crime who assist the authorities in prosecuting the offender and have suffered mental or physical harm as a result of the crime. The U Visa is available to individuals who have entered the U.S. illegally or who have overstayed their visa status. The U Visa holder is authorized to work legally in the U.S. and will be eligible to apply for permanent residency if certain criteria is met.

It is extremely important that the crime victim file a police report and provide information to the police and/or the district attorney that will assist them in prosecuting the offender. The authorities must sign a U Visa Certification before the U Visa Application can be filed with Immigration. Additionally, the U Visa Applicant must present evidence of the mental or physical harm the suffered as a victim of the crime.